The Animal Welfare section is responsible for promoting dog ownership, dealing with stray dogs, dog fouling campaigns, licensing and inspection of riding stables, kennels, catteries, dog breeders and pet shops. Information is available in the Animal Welfare Policy which was recently agreed by Cabinet and a guidance leaflet - Animals Who Does What. Both can be found on the Animal Welfare Policy page.
The Officers work closely with vets and the RSPCA to ensure the health and welfare of animals is protected in carrying out these functions.
- Animal Boarding Establishments Licences (Kennels and Catteries) To run a boarding kennel or cattery, you need a licence from the local authority.
- Animal Welfare Policy The Council has statutory responsibilities to promote and protect animal welfare.
- Barking Dogs Barking dogs can cause a nuisance. Here are some simple steps to take to help prevent this.
- Code of Practice for the Welfare of Dogs The Code of Practice (The Code) applies to all dogs
- Pet Shop Licence To run a pet shop you need a licence from the local authority
- Pets General guidance on the responsibilities of pet ownership.
- Who is responsible for what in Animal Welfare? An advice guide on reporting different animal-related issues.
- Dangerous Wild Animals - Licensing Any person who has in their possession an animal listed in the schedule to the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 must hold a current Licence.
- Dog Control - Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 The Council has the powers to fine irresponsible dog owners under the Clean Neighbours & Environment Act 2005.
- Dog Control - Dog Fouling - Frequently Asked Questions The Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act gives local authorities the power to tackle dog fouling.
- Dog Fouling Keep the Borough clean - report dog fouling
- Dog Warden Service The Dog Warden deals with many varied dog related issues and promotes responsible dog ownership throughout the Borough.
- Dogs - Breeding In Test Valley persons breeding dogs are required to be licensed.
- Stray Dogs If you have found a dog or have lost your own, let us know and we can provide help and assistance.
- Riding Establishments - Registration To run a riding establishment you may need to register with your local authority.
- Zoos - Licensing To run a zoo in England, Scotland and Wales, you need a licence from the local authority.